What are the best shoes for physical therapists? Physical therapists, commonly known as physiotherapists, are an important part of proactive care and rehabilitation.
They help patients manage pain caused by injuries, chronic conditions, and illnesses, thereby helping them improve their movements.
As they do so, they are involved in many hours of standing and walking. Therefore, it is important to look at what shoes do physical therapists wear and the benefit derived from wearing such shoes.
Related: Best Shoes for Massage Therapists
Benefits of Getting the Right Shoes for Physical Therapist
Protects the feet
A good pair of shoes are well cushioned to protect your feet from shock when walking on hard grounds. It is also well designed at the toe region to prevent impacts. This ensures you stay safe and protected from extreme exhaustion making sure you stay productive all day.
Attractiveness and presentability
Appearances matter in any job setting since you are exposed to a lot of people. Also, most people will judge your professionalism by looking at the attires that you have on. Having the right shoes as a physical therapist ensures you are not only attractive and presentable to your clients, but also makes sure you fulfill the requirements of the job’s dressing code.
Provides enhanced support and stability
Having the best shoes for physical therapists on ensures your body weight is distributed evenly thus increasing your stability. Shoes with a good grip protect you from tripping or sliding thus increasing your support and stability.
Keeps your feet clean and warm
A good pair of shoes keep your feet clean. You do not want to get shoes that let the dirt in. Such shoes give your feet an unpleasant odor thus driving your clients away. An excellent pair of shoes also keep you warm in the winter while preventing sweating during the summer.
Related: Best Work Boots for Landscaping
Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
There are many companies out there that offer shoes for physical therapists. However, it is always hard to know the best shoes especially if you are not experienced in the footwear industry. Luckily, we have done the research for you and came up with a list of some of the factors to consider before investing in any pair of physical therapist shoes.
For you to stand or walk all day long without extreme exhaustion, your shoes must be comfortable. When buying shoes, ensure that they have a thick and cushioned insole and midsole. Cushioning absorbs shock while you walk, thus protecting you from hard surfaces. Make sure, the inner lining of the shoe that you buy is made of spongy and comfy material.
The main work of any shoe is to offer feet protection from sharp gravel, hard objects, and impacts. As such, you need to get a shoe that has a hard outsole material to protect you from hard grounds. Also makes sure, it’s fully enclosed with a reinforced toe region for protection against impacts.
Everyone wants durable items that can serve for long. Ensure the shoes you buy are made of durable uppers and outsole material. If possible go for those that are wash-resistant (cannot be destroyed by washing). Additionally, if you can get waterproof shoes, go for them since water is known to destroy most shoes.
Related: Best Security Guard Shoes
If you spend a lot of hours walking or standing (which you do as a physiotherapist), your feet tend to sweat. The sweating accumulates bacterial and dead skin making your feet smell bad. To curb this, go for shoes that have enhanced breathability. You will know such shoes by the type of the upper and the inner lining (should be meshed).
As a physical therapist, you do not want to fall while teaching your injured clients how to walk. You need to have specialized shoes that will enhance your grip even on slippery surfaces. Therefore, when buying shoes for your daily work as a therapist, look for those with enhanced tread patterns. Such shoes will keep you from falling and eventual embarrassment in front of your clients.
Size and weight
Since you spend more of your time standing and walking, it’s only fair to your body that you choose lightweight shoes. This will ensure you do not overstrain your muscles, thus prevent exhaustion which can lead to hindered productivity. Additionally, make sure the shoes are the right and fitting size. You do not want shoes that are small to blister your feet or that are too large that they come off when walking.
Related: Best Shoes for Vet Techs
Best Shoes for Physical Therapists Reviews
Health care professionals spend a lot of time on their feet roaming and running up and down the hospital facility. If you are a physical therapist, chances are that you spend more than 40 hours on your feet. However, it is important to know that as you take care of others health needs, do not forget your own. One way of taking care of your health is by owning the right pair of physical therapist approved shoes. Below are some options you should consider.
Related: Best Waterproof Work Boots
If you’re looking for a stylish, easy to wear, and a long-lasting shoe that will comfort your feet while you do physical therapy to your clients, consider the quality TIOSEBON Women’s Athletic Walking Shoes.
The make of this women’s shoe features a durable textile upper construction and a highly elastic MD outsole for enhanced comfort and durability. The style of the upper is further made breathable to ensure that your feet don’t sweat while still making sure the shoe dries faster when washed. Additionally, the shoe is perfect for walking thanks to its cushioned insole and midsole which absorbs shock in every step that you take.
- Durable textile upper construction
- High elastic MD outsole for comfort
- Mesh upper design for enhanced breathability
- Elastic topLine for easy on and off
- Pigskin insole for added cushioning
- Latex arc insert for ankle support
- Solyte midsole for an exceptional bounce back
- Lightweight and durable design
- Available in different colors and sizes
- Easy slip-on design
- Stylish and comfortable
- Perfect for walking without grinding feet
- You can wear them with a variety of outfits such as skinny jeans, cropped jeans and more
- There wash-resistant and the dry quickly
- Accommodate customers with wide feet
- The insole comes out when taking off the shoes
- They’re specifically made for ladies only
- They have a strong chemical smell when new
Related: Best Work Boots for Mechanics
When searching for the best shoes for occupational therapists, consider the Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 4 Incredible Walking Shoe. Featuring a mesh upper that easily and naturally expands with your feet when you walk, the shoes give you an incredibly comfortable experience while still ensuring your feet do not sweat. Its outsole is made of quality rubber which is treaded to ensure enhanced traction on slippery surfaces. What’s more, the shoe is stylish, durable, easy to wear, and comfortable, thanks to its incredible outsole and upper design, cushioned midsole, and the next generation insole cushioning system.
- Advanced one-piece expandable mesh upper fabric for comfort
- State-of-the-art rubber outsole for added durability
- Innovative five-generation midsole design that allows enhanced cushioning
- Tapering midsole design for improved arch support
- Synthetic overlays at the toe and the heel regions to enhance durability
- New Skechers Goga Max insole to offer cushioning and support
- Quick-fit portal on the heel for easy wearing
- Bamboo lined footbed for anti-bacterial odor control
- Features sock liner for added comfort
- Highly breathable shoes to prevent sweating
- Offers incredible working experience
- Featherweight yet durable design
- With stabilizing heel fabric overlay panels
- Offers improved support and traction
- Engineered to expand naturally with your foot
- Available in a variety of colors
- Easy to wash, easy to wear, and versatile design
- They might be narrow at the toe region for some people
- Not suitable for walking on rough surfaces such as gravel or muddy condition
For those looking for physical therapist approved shoes with excellent cushioning, flexibility, and comfort, the Saucony Women’s Cohesion 10 Running shoe is an excellent option.
Apart from coming from a reputable brand for athletes, this shoe is 100 % mesh upper to make your shoes are breathable, thus ensuring comfort in every step of the way.
Its rubber outsole ensures the needed durability and cushioning while still enhancing grip in low traction environments. Additionally, it’s a laced-on design that does not come off easily when running, while its spongy insole and lining offer excellent shock absorption even on hard grounds.
- 100% synthetic mesh upper to enhance comfort and breathability
- Rubber outsole to provide durability and cushioning
- Injection Molded EV construction for waterproofing ability
- Enhanced tread patterns to provide grip even on low traction surfaces
- Spongy inner lining and insole for added comfort
- Laced on design to prevent the shoes from coming off
- Features arch support for added stability and safety
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- Provides added stability and arch support
- Can be used for running
- Available in different colors
- Removable insole for an orthotic insert
- Creative and attractive design
- Durable and affordable
- They might have a small fitting with a narrow toe box
- The fabric may tear with extended usage