There is nothing more American than a pair of trusted cowboy boots. It’s part of our identity as cowboys and cowgirls with the love of our deeply embedded western culture, country, and history. Therefore, it makes sense that we talk about the things we value most. We talk about the design, the built material, the shape of toes, insoles, heels, and more. However, there is one vital element of the cowboy boot we often forget or overlook: our socks.
As a western boot enthusiast, the socks you put on should be as crucial and carefully selected as the boot itself. Think about this; we always consider every factor that needs to be in a boot, don’t we? But socks touch our feet every day and are essential to the comfort and fit of our boots. In this guide, we’ll dive into the best western boots socks, and a few need-to-knows that will help you keep moving.
Why Do You Need Special Socks for Cowboy Boots?
Wearing a pair of cowboy boots socks may seem instinctual by now. It’s what you do every winter to keep yourself warm, and it’s what your mamma told you to do every day. But why?
- Socks provide sufficient cushioning to your feet.
- Socks act as a protective barrier between the cowboy boot and the skin of your feet. This helps prevent raw spots and blisters from rubbing that a barefoot lacks.
- Socks are good moisture absorber. They keep your feet healthy and dry when sweating. Sweat creates bacteria, and the longer that sweat stays in your skin, the bacteria and fungus continue to grow.
- A good pair of socks helps you fight foot odor.
- Socks help regulate foot temperatures. For instance, cool in summer, warm in winter. However, this is dependent on their built materials.
Are Wool Socks Itchy?
Merino wool comes with fine fiber and doesn’t itch. It’s also crucial to keep your feet at the right temperature, regardless of the season. Additionally, it’s antimicrobial properties help keep the feet odor-free.
Can You Wear Cowboy Boots Without Socks?
Yes, you can. But only if:
- You don’t sweat too much
- The boots fit your feet, not tight and not loose
- You don’t have big calves
- You don’t wear it during the snowfall or rainy season
- Your cowboy boots have zippers or pull tabs
Best Socks for Cowboy Boots Buying Guide
Now that we know that any kind of socks won’t cut the mustard when wearing cowboy boots, what should you look for? Let’s take a look at some factors that will help you get the right pair of socks for cowboy boots.
Materials are a prerequisite to deciding whether a pair of a cowboy boot is worth or not. A pair of socks with bad materials will only make your days worse. Most socks come with a combination of various fibers, and some are better than others at wicking moisture away from your feet.
- Cotton: It’s very good at trapping moisture but doesn’t release it easily, which can cause irritation and odor. This is not an ideal choice to wear with a cowboy boot, but mostly, cotton is mixed with other fibers to improve the moisture-releasing abilities.
- Acrylic: This is an inexpensive and versatile fabric that dries fast to help keep away moisture, but not as good as wool. This is a good material for your socks.
- Merino wool: Wool has excellent wicking properties. It’s a common material used in the manufacture of cowboy socks. Wool has excellent fibers and doesn’t make you itch. It can trap moisture released from your skin in the form of sweat. This makes your foot dry and fresh and prevents bacteria build-up. Merino wool is hard-wearing, so you won’t have holes in your socks, and keeps you cool through the changing seasons.
- Nylon: Although it is not good at moisture-wicking, it does have great absorbency. It’s mostly blended with other fibers. Nylon is also a sturdy fiber that makes the socks durable.
- Spandex, Elastane, and Lycra: These materials have good stretch qualities and offer a great fit. They are added to your socks to provide support and help them stay in place.
Unlike many shoes and boots, western boots have a very high shafts. These socks need to be well-designed to prevent bunching and slipping. When looking for the best western boots socks, go for one that can stay up legs and top all day.
Also, consider the thickness of the socks. If you work in cold weather or need extra warmth, opt for thick socks. Cowboy boot socks should feature a full cushion foot. Particularly when you have high arches or flat feet, it’s best to buy a pair of socks that have outstanding arch support.
Your chosen pair of socks depends on your purpose. If you’re looking for a pair to help you fix your loose cowboy boots, they should have full-cushion foot and thick. If you’ve heel slippage, a pair of non-slip yoga socks will work best for you.
Comfort is a crucial factor to consider when looking for the right pair of cowboy boot socks. Sufficient cushioning at the foot of the socks will offer extra comfort for your feet. Good arch support will prevent aches and fatigue. Ensure that your chosen pair is not too thick. This can reduce the space in your boots, making them tight hence leading to blisters.
Choosing a high-quality pair of socks can save you money in the long run. A good pair of cowboy boot should last you for 6-12 months. Ensure you check the brand, material, thickness, and comfort to confirm quality. To make it easy for you, go through the five best socks for cowboy boots in this guide.
Best Socks for Cowboy Boots Reviews
The Wrangler Men’s Western Boot Socks come with 17% nylon, 3% Spandex, and 80% polyester. They are designed to fit all climates and help keep your feet cool and dry with their excellent moisture-wicking properties. These socks have reinforced toe and heels that can withstand tear and wear. This makes them super durable.
The Wrangler Men’s socks come with a smooth seem, arch support, and half-cushion that offer you all-day comfort and reduces foot fatigue. It comes with large sizes for sizes 9 to 13 and extra-large for 12 to 15. Additionally, the sock’s top is ribbed to help hold them in place and prevent it from slipping down. The socks are also machine washable.
- Plain pattern
- 17% nylon, 3% Spandex, and 80% polyester composition
- Machine wash
- Ribbed top
- Provides added support and comfort
- Padded foot reduces the impact
- Prevents bunching and slipping
- Excellent moisture wicking
- Impressive cushion and arch support
- Inconsistent sizing
- Quality may vary in sizes
If you’re looking for the best socks for women’s cowboy boots, this is a good bet. The Carhartt Women’s Extremes Cold Weather Boot Socks are very warm, comfortable, and extremely soft. They are thick and fit nicely in the western boots and slippers.
The socks regulate temperature, so you are comfortable no matter where you are. What’s more, it comes with large sizes for sizes 4 to 9 and extra-large for 9 to 12. These cowboy boot socks have mesh vents that produce vents for breathability.
- 66% Acrylic, 12% Nylon, 21% Merino wool, and 1% Spandex
- Machine wash
- Wool blend
- Mesh vents
- Logo across toe
- Highly breathable
- Keeps you warm and dry
- Maximum comfort and protection
- Not super soft
These cowboy socks are designed to give you full day comfort and come in three pairs. They are made from different fabrics that include 22% nylon, 68% cotton, 2% spandex, and 8% polyester. These materials make the socks comfortable, hard wear, cushioned, and stretchable. With these socks, you don’t have to worry about itching and getting blisters since they don’t rub against your skin.
The Ariat Men’s have reinforced heels and toes that add comfort and improve your performance. What’s more, the elastic cuff on the top helps to keep the socks in place.
- 22% nylon, 68% cotton, 2% spandex, and 8% polyester
- Machine wash
- Reinforced toe and heel
- Woven weave type
- Elastic cuff
- Very comfortable
- The blended fabrics add to your protection and comfort
- Can be machine washed and dried
- The reinforced toe and heel that enhances durability
- Might not stretch a lot
- Can get too tight
The ARIAT mens Men’s Full Cushion Over the Calf Socks is among the best pair of socks to wear with your western boots. If you find it hard to get the right size for you, you should give the ARIAT mens a try. They have a perfect blend of cotton, polyester, nylon, and spandex that makes the socks skin-friendly.
- Slim-fitting nylon calf
- 50% cotton, 8% nylon, 40% polyester, and 8% nylon
- White color
- Machine wash
- Full cushion foot
- Ultra-slim fabric for all-day comfort
- Excellent moisture-wicking ability
- Very thin for cold weather
Are you looking for the best men’s socks for cowboy boots? The Wrangler Men’s Lightweight Ultra-Dri Boot Socks will bring you the comfort and durability you need. These socks are fully cushioned to reduce foot fatigue and boost protection. It has great arch support that offers a perfect fit and a smooth toe seam that reduces itchiness. Additionally, they have good moisture-wicking that keeps your feet cool and dry.
- 3% spandex, 17% nylon, and 80% polyester
- Plain pattern
- Smooth toe seam
- Machine washable
- Soft and smooth toe that minimizes itchiness
- Fully cushioned
- Great moisture-wicking technology
- Some users complain that the socks shrink after wash
Selecting the best socks for cowboy boots can be tough for both men and women. However, we’ve made this easy for you. This guide will help you choose the best socks for cowboy boots that have a perfect combination of comfort, quality, and durability. Good luck!